Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Monday, April 18, 2011

How One 3-Letter Word (ALL) Could Change Your Life

A former Bible teacher of mine, Chuck Carter, used to say, when trying to understand Scripture don't just read it...read it backwards, to get a different perspective on time.  Also, read it with a view of what he called "Umbrella Theology"...that is, interpret it based on other Scripture on the subject to get a more thorough understanding and gain a more complete picture of what the writers were trying to convey.  He would also say to read what is said...then read what is NOT said. That's the one I most enjoy.  

I have just invested almost $1,000.00 of my hard earned bacon on my passion for that last concept.  You see, in Mark 12:30 (NIV) Jesus tells us that the greatest commandment is to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength."  I have just started a business/ministry to promote this idea.  More on that later.  

So for a year or so I have been focusing on what I think most of us focus on in that verse...namely "love".  Or in the Greek - Agape' - unconditional love. But what Chuck's unique twist showed me was that the word "ALL" is perhaps the key word.  It is the most used word in the verse.  He doesn't say "Love him with "some" or "most" or "all the love that you can muster"...it's simply "All".  An interesting word.   This is a rallying cry for all of us who are tired of half-hearted loving. Half-hearted living. God expects more.  So should we. It is what we were created for - to love God with all that is in us. David loved God in such a way.  So much so that he danced for God (in his underwear) before the entire nation of Israel.  That my friends is an "all"-type love.  I believe this is a much needed rallying cry for our generation. I hope that you agree.

I am reading the book Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris.  It is the younger (teen) generations rallying cry to rise above the low expectations that our society has for its young people.  It started with a blog, but struck a nerve with thousands of believing teens, and has become a monumental movement to live in Christ's potential not the worlds.  These young people call themselves "Rebelutionaries".   Their enthusiasm is inspiring and contagious. 

Getting to the thing I mentioned earlier.  I come with these ideas and people keep telling me "You should put that on a T-Shirt".  So, I finally did.  I pick them up tomorrow.  It is (hopefully) a unique and compelling way to promote that thing that we were created to do - Love God with ALL...pictures of the shirts will be posted in the next day or two.  

Now I don’t want this to be artificial or contrived, but a genuine personal challenge, a life quest even.  In retrospect, the reason I started this blog was to “flesh out” those thoughts and ideas and movings that were churning in my heart at the beginning of the year.  So in the spirit of Do Hard Things, I, Keith Murrill, am 42…and I am a rebelutionary. Is there anyone out there who wants to join me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.