Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Friday, April 22, 2011

Standing In the Gap for 5 Billion People

When I was in college, my roommate (and good friend to this day) Wayne challenged me to pray about and consider going to the mission field.  Well, in hindsight I was probably a little misguided (but then who of us aren't..the beauty of grace allows us to be...right?), but that sounded really cool and full of danger and adventure so, naturally I prayed and felt that God wanted me to take the challenge.  I even signed something called "The Caleb Declaration", signing in ink my willingness to go to whatever nether parts God willed me to go to do whatever he wanted me to do to somehow bring unsaved people to Jesus.  To fulfill the Great Commission.

To fulfill the Great Commission

This, I see now, was a watershed moment in my life.  I eventually would take this seriously, (as I think all Christians should) and with this new sense of purpose in my life began to actually pray and allow God to have my life, even if it meant taking me away - far away - from my family, friends, familiar food, (I'm really NOT going for alliteration here..lol) language, culture.  I began to see that the reality of missions separates us from everything that we know and is a little frightening and not to be taken lightly.  But I was determined.  The possibility that God may want this for my life by now (my junior year) led me to start taking action.  I felt that God wanted me to go to China.  So I took Mandarin Chinese language classes, I started reading about the culture, even befriending Chinese students, offering to help them with their English in return for help with my Chinese.  I learned that the Chinese language is not as hard to learn as I thought it would be (it's actually quite beautiful- more like art), that the Chinese are an extremely generous people (I have had more than one authentic Chinese dinner...phenomenal), and that I was indeed falling in love with the idea of being a missionary to China. Of going to China to tell them about Jesus.  I had already determined in my brain that I would be the next Hudson Taylor.  If you don't know who he is and have not been feeling inspired lately, you will be if you read Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret.

Well, I never went to China.  In fact I've never been out of the country, except to adopt my boys.  The disappointment of not seeing that dream fulfilled lasted for years.  Then God taught me a powerful lesson.  My heart was for China.  His heart is for the Chinese people.  There is a difference. So, as I painfully realized that I was not going to be a missionary, I knew that I could still make a difference in the lives of the Chinese because as the saying goes, "When we work, we work.  But when we pray, God works."  

When we work, we work.  But when we pray, God works.

So, I started to pray.  But for what? and for who? Besides the news I had precious little information to help me pray strategically (there was no internet in 1994). And then I remembered that in college someone had given me a copy of a book called Operation World. The latest edition just came out last Fall. It is, in my opinion (humble or not), a book, that should be used daily by every believer.  If you're not familiar with it go to their website. Operation World.  It is quite honestly, one of the most amazing books, ever written.   And written multiple times.  It will help you learn more about the cultures, politics, and most importantly, spiritual state, of every nation, almost every ethne' (ethnic group)...in the WORLD! and then guide you strategically in how to pray for them.  Truly awesome.  I have never known my Bible to not have a copy of OW sitting somewhere close by.  Revelation tells us that people from every tribe, tongue, people, and language, will be worshiping Him.  If you love the Scriptures and desire to love people the way God does, than I urge you to pray for the lost people of our hurting planet.  And get a copy of Operation World.  Also, as my friend challenged me 23 years ago, I am challenging you.  Not to do anything, not to go anywhere.  Just to pray and give God your life.  Then, hold on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.