Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Pressure Is A Privilege

I admit that when it comes to sports, soccer, while in the "I Like" column, it definitely is not in the category with baseball, college basketball, and not even in the same hemisphere as football.  I'm an American, I make no apologies.  I did; however, watch, from the very first game, the Women's World Cup.  And was not disappointed.  The USA made watching soccer more exciting than the running of the bulls in Pamplona.  I was glued to the TV every time they played.  I think the whole nation was by the end.  And I think we may be coming slowly around to soccer.

About half way into the WWC, I read that the motto for the US team was "The Pressure Is a Privilege", of course meaning the pressure of playing the best teams on the world stage for all to see.  Most of us will never know that kind of pressure.   They didn't shirk it or even complain about it.  They embraced it.

I read that the motto for the US team was "The Pressure Is a Privilege"

I believe we as disciples of Christ, should approach trials with this same zeal.  In fact, James 1:2, says we're to "consider it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds".  Pure joy?? Seriously??...for those of us who have faced God-sized trials, we know that this is a very tall order.  But there it is. God has a way of asking for the impossible.  But I believe that there are three reason that it is not only possible, but that He expects it.

1) We have the Holy Spirit.  And we are hopeless without Him.  To do this in our own power and strength would be laughable. (The Lord knows I've tried it many times). Personally, it becomes harder for me in the midst of a trial to ask for the Spirit to fill me.  Mostly because I'm full of pride and unwilling to give in, but eventually after striving...I give up and ask for help. I always forget that God never intends for me to go through it alone, even though it feels like it.  (I'm curious. Is it men only who are like this or do women struggle with this "stoic independence" in trials.  Please chime in.  I'd like to know.) 

I always forget that God never intends for me to go through it alone, even though it feels like it. 

2) We have, as Hebrews 12 puts it, "a great cloud of witnesses".  There are so many stories in Scripture of the trials of the saints.  Strangely, I find it comforting, that David was chased around the wilderness by Saul.  (It led to some amazing Psalms...6:3,4 for example says, "My soul is in anguish. How long O Lord, How long? Turn O Lord, and deliver me." How many times have we said those very words in the middle of suffering).  Also, read Fox's Book of Martyrs.  It puts our trial in perspective. 

3) Because God knows that we have what it takes.  He believes in us.  1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "[God] will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." Incidentally, the Greek word used here for "tempted" indicates that it is testing for the purpose of building up.   A trial, in other words.  And God knows our breaking point.  He, more than any other, knows that we have what it takes to endure until it's over.  

Hebrews 12:7 says to "Endure hardship as discipline. God is treating you as sons."  Going through trials, being tested, enduring hardship.  All these things are the benefits that come with being a child of the King.  He does not demand this from those that are not his children.  It's a privilege given only to His sons and daughters. James finishes his "pure joy" challenge with this.  "...because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance...so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Embrace it.  The pressure is a privilege.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have trouble with the me<God during times of pressure. I have the bad habit of trying to operate in my own power and not His.

    That was something I was really aware of last week in New Orleans. God reminded me that I am only His imperfect tool and He uses me in spite of my imperfections. I needed to understand that so that I could get out of my own way (and His) and let Him have control of everything.

    Song of the week for me: Beautiful Things by Gungor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Gungor. Have to look them up. Thanks for responding.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.