Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Monday, July 25, 2011

Quick Thought on Fear of God

I think that the notion "the fear of God" is best illustrated in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, notably in the beginning when Lucy comes to the realization that Aslan (the Christ type in the book) is, in fact, a lion, and that the Beavers seem quite in awe of Him.(This is my own rendering without quoting exactly from the book.  I can't find it. Please forgive.)

With great horror, she asks, "A lion?...Is He safe?"

"'course He isn't safe!", Mr. Beaver exclaims...."But He's good."  I think we are misguided by all the pictures in Sunday schools of the "meek and timid" Jesus holding the lamb.  Our God is Awesome, He is a lion, He is a warrior, He does not hold back wrath due to His weakness, but His love. 

The Lord is not safe,  but He's good.  Show Him the fear that is due His great Name.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.