Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Can I Get An ETA On That Promise, Lord?


In Scripture, we are given a myriad of amazing promises from God.  He promises to provide all our needs (remember the verse about us being worth more than the birds and flowers...so not to worry?),  God promises us life filled with purpose and meaning (John 10:10), We are promised authority to overcome the power of Satan (Luke 10:19),  He promises never to leave us or forsake us, promises that we can get close to Him, promises to do more than we can "ask or imagine" ( ...and I can imagine a lot!).  He even comments on the promises themselves in 2 Peter 1:4, saying that by his "great and precious" promises we can participate in the divine nature (!!).  That sounds pretty awesome.

And when God makes a promise, it is money.  Done deal. As good as gold. God takes his word very seriously.  And he (rightly) should expect us to trust that when He makes a promise it will come to pass. 'Cus bad things can happen if we don't trust God that He will keep his promise.  

  God never says WHEN he will fulfill His promises

There's only one small problem.  He never says WHEN he will fulfill His promises. And according to Psalm 90:4, a thousand years are like a day to God.  So we are in for some waiting...and, I hate waiting.  So unfortunately for me and you we are trapped by the clock.  In a way, this really penalizes believers these days, because everything we do comes with an Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) meter.  We have calendars and clocks and timers on our watches, apps on our phones, we have an apple in New York so we even know the precise second the New Year has started.  Even when we download something on the computer we get the little bar that shows our progress.  Our flight might be delayed, but at least we know.  We aren't in the dark.

So, I was thinking...what if God's promises came with some sort of supernatural ETA meter.  We pray for something, or a promise kicks in, and POOF...instantly a "countdown to when the promise is fulfilled" appears.  I don't need anything fancy, it would just be nice to know that the trial I'm in is going to end in 18 days, 3 hours, and 15 seconds.  Yeah, that would be sweet to know.  Or that the full life...it won't start for at least another 7 years. Good to know. Thanks for the ETA, Lord.  And as long as I'm dreaming here I guess could ask for a time machine, a freeze-frame function for my kids (so I could actually get some things done), and about 4 more inches in height.  Yeah, I told you I can imagine a lot!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.