Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Friday, August 12, 2011

What Would Jesus Tweet?

Throughout the Gospels people are continuously chasing after Jesus.  They loved Him.  Couldn't get enough of Him. In one Gospel account He gets in a boat to cross the Sea of Galilee and the crowd literally walks around the sea to meet Jesus on the other side. Say Whhaaa??!  They walked around a SEA!! Another place, He's walking down the road on His way to Jericho and he has a parade of people following him.  Apparently, Jesus had a posse...one that would make even Leonardo DiCaprio jealous..Hold on a second!!  The only instance of similar fanatical popularity in our lifetime is the paparazzi chasing after celebrities, athletes, and billionaire geeks.  When was the last time the paparazzi waited outside of your home just because you were a Christian? 

When was the last time the paparazzi waited outside of
your home just because you were a Christian?

[On a completely unrelated note, I really love to say the word "Paparazzi" with an Italian accent.  It just rolls off the tongue so nicely...go ahead and say it...you know you want to].  

OK...so Jesus was a celebrity.  He was famous. I mean if He were alive today his limo driver (probably one of the lesser disciples like Bartholomew) would be in a constant race against dudes on motorcycles with waving cameras swerving in and out of traffic just to get a picture of this superstar Jesus!  And could you imagine how many people would be following Jesus on Twitter?  Surely in the millions. I can see His tweet now, "Just brought another guy back from the dead.  See, I am the Messiah, yo! Believe in me."  

How many people would be following Jesus on Twitter?

And let's not even talk about Facebook.  I wonder how many FB Friends Jesus would have. (I know someone out there just thought "not more than 144,000"...you Bible literalists.  OK, I did too).  A ridiculous amount clearly.  I think I have 143.  Maybe I shouldn't be making that public information.

So, the point is, if Jesus was sooooo popular with the people (everyone, that is, but the lawyers. But who wants to be friends with lawyers anyway) and we are supposed to be just like Him...why aren't people today following Christians around, walking around lakes to hear us preach the Gospel or following us in long parades on our way to work?  Now, I realize that I'm making this way too simple, and the answer is more complex.  But since this is mostly a rhetorical question, I'm allowed to make certain logical assumptions and presuppositions...right?  

What was it that made Jesus so attractive?

I just want to know what was it that made Jesus so attractive to the people in his culture?  And what is it about us Christians today that make us so unattractive to ours?   And what can I do to make people more attracted to me....attracted to JESUS IN ME.   Somehow, I think I know the answer,  and I think it starts with loving God and loving people...although I was really hoping for more of a "do good deeds and throw some money into the offering plate" solution...it's way easier.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.  The Greatest Commandment. Jesus did it all perfectly...us not so much.  So that's where we start.  Also reading more about Jesus in the Gospels, what He did and didn't do, what He said and didn't say...is probably a good choice too.P96HVST74RPS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.