Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake Story

Hey there, I just added my Twitter feed...over there to the left.  Not sure if I'll keep it, but I like trying out different things, maybe you've noticed.  Also, I am using a new comment widget supposed to be more user friendly, so maybe more of you will be unable to resist showering me with comments.  Honestly, you could insult me and I'd be happy. So please comment and let me know if something blesses you, makes you laugh, or throw up.  Whatever. I'm on the road right now so this one is short.  Any of you in Alabama? I'm in Mobile, here's a shout out to your awesome state. Except for the insane heat and humidity. No shout out for that.

Just in case any of you (that aren't my personal friends or people I pay to read my blog-joke-don't everybody start asking for $$) remembered that I'm in Virginia...and were wondering...Yes, I felt the earthquake.  I was in my office building when it happened.  At first we just thought Big Jake had...well...you know...sprung a gas leak.  But when walls started to move we realized that this was a bigger deal than a poorly digested burrito. So we did what all chivalrous, seasoned, men of the world do in the face of danger.  We ran.  With dignity. To the stairs and then outside. (Don't worry we held the door for the women...I said we were chivalrous didn't I?).

Because buildings didn't collapse and nobody died we were all joking about it, albeit, nervously. But events like this still have a way of reminding us of our mortality.  Which is a good thing.  Because realizing we could have died makes us think about death more and what happens when we die.  It makes us think about God. And anything that makes hard-hearted people, or all people, think of spiritual things...that can't be bad. Now, if this had been worse, that sentiment would come across as morbid and in poor taste, but it would still be true.  But it wasn't thank the Lord. So, I'm praying for an opportunity at work to sow some seeds. 

So how about you.  Anybody out there feel the 'quake?  Any cool stories?