Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Calvinism and Dating

As I was Facebooking an old friend, it occurred to me that this would be good fodder for my blog...the subject is Calvinism and dating....for a young Christian man who was not aware that Calvin was to Reformed Presbyterians what Mary is to Catholics (just kidding...Catholics aren't that serious about Mary) this was the making of a very weird weekend.  This is essentially what I wrote to my friend:

"I remember dating this girl (well...datING is a stretch...we went on a date, actually more like half a date) but before I could go on this "date" I had to have dinner with her pastor who thusly inquired as to my thoughts on Calvinism. When my reply was to applaud his antics with his make-believe tiger, but was unsure of the -ism part, he shoved a few books in my hand and told me I had no chance with this girl as she was thoroughly reformed.  Of course, I assumed that meant she was no longer a criminal or on drugs.  Anyway he was right and that pretty much ended any chance of me becoming a good Presbyterian...what the 5 pillars and all...or is that Islam? I forget."  

The funny thing is that she went on to marry a Reformed pastor who she happened to fall in love with in the middle of my half-date.  (He was not a pastor at the time).  He was my friend who I was staying with whilst courting his wife-to-be. Matchmaker, matchmaker...make me a match...anyhoo, the moral of the story is...well there is no moral, but it does prove what lengths God is willing to go to prove that religion and dating don't mix (just kidding about that too).

 (Disclaimer: I really do NOT dislike Reformed Presbyterianism, i.e., Calvinism, and it's adherents. Any jokes at your expense were completely intentional, my apologies if you were offended.  But worry not, I will eventually get to the Baptists, Methodists, and of course, those crazy Pentecostals.)



   

2 comments:

  1. Keith - I remember this day!!!! You just gave me a great laugh! Give Stacey and the boys hugs from me.
    Chele :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.