Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Garbage In, Garbage Out

When I was in college, a fraternity brother of mine had the nickname GIGO...Garbage In, Garbage Out.  He earned it by eating nothing but junk food and being the king of trash talk.  His name fit him well.  One thing the Holy Spirit has convicted me of this week is well described by this same phrase.  For most of my Christian life (I have been a believer in Christ since I was 20, so over half my life!) when it came to my taste in music or TV or movies I would ask the question, "Is it sinful to listen to or watch this?" and make my choice thusly. Not surprisingly I usually listened or watched.  I was feeding my mind garbage and that was precisely what was being produced in my life.

What never occurred to me is that these choices would shape my attitudes, behavior, thoughts, and language according to the lowest bar possible throwing a wide net that affects my family, friends, and my future.  I wanted to know how much could I get away with and still not be "in sin".  My goal, unbeknown to me at the time, was not to live my life in a way that glorified God, but in a way to not NOT glorify Him. (Make sense?)  It was a recipe for mediocrity and a powerless Christian life. You reap what you sow.

Then I was reminded of a verse I thought I knew. The verse in Hebrews 12 says to "throw off everything that hinders AND the sin that so easily entangles and run...the race marked out for us." There are TWO things that were keeping me from "running" well. Sin surely, but also hindrances. Things that aren't necessarily sin, just not God's best for me to run my race effectively.  Amazing!!  So I've been running with my eyes on my back to keep the sin off when I never looked ahead to realize I've been in the lane with all the potholes. It is by no accident that the next verse says, "Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.