Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Wee Passion of the Faithless (and other Limericks)

While driving to work yesterday I passed a car with this license plate:  FATH LST.

Now my first instinct was to think that this poor wretch had lost their faith, but I hadn't yet considered other alternatives for the 70 mph word puzzle.  So  I tried a few out in my head: 

Alternative 1) Fat H-List...I had no idea what that could possibly mean
Alternative 2) Faith List...a list of faiths...strange, but possible
Alternative 3) Farth Lahoost..which of course we all know is the name of the iconic Irish touring dance troupe to celebrate the Northern Irish Wee Knickerbocker Brigade....OK, that's a lie....because when I passed him...he clearly was not wee.

OK, so now I'm faced with what is clearly this person's attempt to push their religion, lost or otherwise, on me. Then it occurred to me that I am passionate about a few things that I would think keen to have on my license plate in order to let the world know about me as I fly by them on the highway. But it takes real commitment to actually get it on my plate, not to mention money which I am loathe to part with.  So, this person who lost their faith was so passionate about losing it that they went down to the DMV, stood in line for at least 36 hours (they actually rent cots now I think), tried out a few vanity plates that had already been taken, paid the money, then waited by the mailbox to get it, and then put it on their car.  (It literally takes an act of Congress for me just to put my Registration Tag on mine every year).  That is real, genuine passion and commitment about NOT having their faith. This person is so angry at God, they want the world to know how angry and was commited enough to go through not a few obstacles to make it happen. 

 What if I was so joyful for God's love for me that I was willing to have the same commitment to tell the world.  The Lord  convicted me of this using a person who lost their faith...sometimes God is weird.  Does anyone else feel that way sometimes?


1 comment:

  1. Yes, God does work in mysterious ways sometimes. Jesus hocked a loogie in in someones eye and they were healed of blindness. That's pretty weird.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.