Blue Ridge Mountains

Blue Ridge Mountains

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Terminator and Scripture


Just recently, I started getting my 8 year old twin boys up at 6:45 to introduce them to the concept of meeting with God in the morning.  (like David (Psalm 5:3) and Jesus (Mark 1:35).....) Well, since they are 1) boys and have the attention span of a Jack Russell hopped up on espresso (yes, I know dogs don't drink coffee...but, work with me people!) and 2) they are 8 years old...and have the attention span...OK, you get it. Anyway, I have limited their time to 15 minutes.  I have them read a couple of verses that I choose then we turn out the lights and I have them be quiet for a minute or two and ask God to teach them something about what they just read.  
Well, so far it has been fairly uneventful, although I think they are relishing this new benefit of "becoming all growed up" like Dad.  It truly has been fun so far, seeing their tired enthusiasm.  They are troopers.  Not a single complaint yet about waking up early.
Well that all changed this morning...not the complaining part, the uneventful part.  I forgot to find a verse for them to read, so I had them read a favorite Psalm of mine...Psalm 63. I mean I figured it was safe. It really is a beautiful picture of God's love and our need of His love.  Of course, as we Christians are wont to do, we remember the glorious parts, but conveniently forget about the parts that make us squirm....so of course I forgot about those two pesky verses near the end about God destroying Davids enemies...you see where this is going.
So, the boys are done and I ask them to share what God taught them from this Psalm.  Of course, I expected to hear something about God's love, or our soul clinging to Him, or some high epiphany in the realm of them being moved by this Psalm so much that they want to go to the Middle East or Africa to share Christ with the huddled masses.  But what came falling out of their 8 year old mouths was, more like a scene out of Terminator (I can even hear Ahnuld's voice)...and I quote: Coleman: "God will throw his enemies into the depths of the earth", and Caleb (giggling) "Jackals will eat God's enemies eyeballs". Sighhhhh!   
I wonder if the 12 year old Jesus was in the Temple reminding the priests and lawyers about those pesky verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, Like the post? Let me know.